New CHS award recognizes excellence in inclusion, diversity and equity commitment
The purpose of this award is to honor individuals or groups of VCU administrators, faculty, staff or students who exemplify the importance and commitment to inclusion, diversity and equity. Group is defined as a VCU affiliated unit, organization or team of faculty, administrators or staff, undergraduate or graduate student(s) or any interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary collaboration. Groups and individuals may also submit self-nominations.
Nominees should exemplify or support inclusion, diversity and equity initiatives in the College by one or more of the following means:
- Develop and maintain a shared and inclusive understanding of diversity, multiculturalism, institutional bias and affirmative action through training and education in the College
- Actively work to identify and/or dismantle institutional bias or promote inclusion in the College
- Create a welcoming and inclusive climate through facilitation or creation of related initiatives, curriculum reform, research incentives, community-outreach, cross-campus and/or departmental initiatives
- Actively work to recruit, retain and support a diverse student body and/or workforce at all levels
- Actively work to enhance curricular, co-curricular, research, service, artistic or study abroad activities to engage the university community in affirming an inclusive, diverse and multicultural learning environment
- Develop and maintain consistent accountability measures to accurately assess progress toward institutionalizing diversity and multiculturalism
The IDEC awards are divided along the following four categories: (Groups and individuals may also submit self-nominations.)
- Leadership in Inclusion, Diversity and Equity (LSIDE) Staff and Administrator Award
- Rising Star in Inclusion, Diversity and Equity (RSIDE) Student Award
- Trailblazer in Inclusion, Diversity and Equity (TBIDE) Faculty Award
- Collaborative Work in Inclusion, Diversity and Equity (CWIDE) Group Award
Nominations should include a brief narrative, no more than one page in length, that address specific examples of how the individual or group demonstrates any of the aforementioned goals. The nomination may include letters of support, articles of support and other documents that support the nomination.