Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Resources
In the Media
- Teaching on Days After: Dialogue & Resources for Educating Toward Social Justice. (n.d.). About [Facebook page]. Retrieved April 30, 2021.
- Diversity and Inclusion in STEM: ‘thru the lens of chemistry.” VCU, Department of Chemistry.
- Kattari, S. (2021). LGBTQIA2S+ individuals and communities; best practices for inclusion [Webinar]. VCU Clark-Hill Institute for Positive Youth Development.
- Smedley, B. (2021, March 3). Race, place and chronic disease: Addressing the roots of health inequity [Video]. YouTube.
- Stovall, J. (2018, July). How to get serious about diversity and inclusion in the workplace [Video]. TEDx, YouTube.
- Cooper, D. L., Cuyjet, M. J., Linder, C., & Howard-Hamilton, M.L. (Eds). (2016). Multiculturalism on campus: Theory, models, and practices for understanding diversity and creating inclusion. (2nd edition.). Stylus Publishing.
- Kendi, I. X. (2019). How to be an antiracist. One world.
- Kite, M.E, Case, K. A, & Williams, W.R. (Eds.). (2021). Navigating difficult moments in teaching diversity and social justice. American Psychological Association.
- Smith, D. G. (2014). Diversity and inclusion in higher education: emerging perspectives on institutional transformation. Routledge.
- AAPA (2021, February 10). Statement Condemning Violence Against Asian and Asian Americans [PDF]. Asian American Psychological Association.
- Casey, R. (2021, March 16). The pandemic’s sexist consequences: Academe’s stark gender disparities are being exacerbated by COVID-19. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Gray, K. (2021, February 23). Will the current focus on Black Lives Matter lead to a lasting change? Diverse Issues in Higher Education.
- Hamlin, K.A. (2021, March 30). Why are there so few women full professors? The obstacle to parity is a lack of constitutional will. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Harrison-Kelly, T. (n.d). Finding Amanda Gorman: Guess what? she’s sitting in your classroom right now. School Leadership for Social Justice.
- Flaherty, C. (2021, Jan 6). Illusion of inclusion. Inside Higher Ed.
- Zamudia-Suarez, F. (2021, February 2). Race on campus. The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Checklists and Toolkits
- University of Calgary. (2011) Inclusive Teaching Checklist [Word].
Articles from Peer Reviewed Journals
- Case, K.A. (2007). Raising white privilege awareness and reducing racial prejudice: Assessing diversity course effectiveness. Teaching of Psychology, 34(4), 231–235.
- Clauson, C., & McKnight, J. (2018). Welcome to campus: planning for diversity, inclusion, and equity. Planning for Higher Education, 47(1), 39-47.
- Marta, T. (2013). Diversity ≠ inclusion: Promoting integration in higher education. Educational Researcher, 42(9), 467–475.
- Otten, M. (2003). Intercultural learning and diversity in higher education. Journal of Studies in International Education, 7(1), 12–26.
- Rogelberg, S.L., Summerville, K., & Ruggs, E.N. (2020). I-O psychology for everyone: Use of culturally responsive teaching to increase diversity and inclusion in undergraduate classrooms. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 13(4), 509–514.
- White, K.N, Vincent-Layton, K., & Villarreal, B. (2021). Equitable and inclusive practices designed to reduce equity gaps in undergraduate chemistry courses. Journal of Chemical Education, 98(2), 330-339.
- Taylor, M., Turk J.M, Chessman, H.M, & Espinosa, L.L. (2020). Race and Ethnicity in Higher Education: 2020 Supplement [PDF].
- The Steve Fund. (2020). Adapting and innovating to promote mental health and emotional well-being of young people of color: covid-19 and beyond [PDF].
Local Organizations and Attractions
- The American Civil War Museum
- Black History Museum and Cultural Center of Virginia
- Diversity Richmond
- Richmond Peace Education Center
- Richmond Teachers for Social Justice
- Urban League of Greater Richmond
- The Valentine
- Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities
- Virginia Holocaust Museum
- Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
- Virginia Museum of History and Culture
- Coming to the Table
- Maggie Walker Historic Site
- Richmond Walking Slave Trail
- Mary and Frances Youth Center